Saturday, August 23, 2008

64. OldTown White Coffee




Nanyang Kopi-o
Xi Mut milk tea

Ice fire polo bun
Nasi rendang chicken

I was at this OldTown White Coffee an hour ago, an outlet which was just opened on 31st July 2008. Well, I think every singaporean knows that there is an OldTown white coffee in the east because it was brought into Singapore from Penang by our local comedian cum actor Mark Lee some time ago and it was hotly publicized. I am not sure if this new outlet at Bukit Timah that I went to is his or not. Anyway, the place where this outlet is standing currently was actually the former mazda's showroom. If you are driving along upper bukit timah road, you will be attracted to this yellow neon light, the signature of OldTown White Coffee. Very easily spotted.

There were quite a lot of people dining in there when I reached. I was pretty surprised by the varieties of food that were available. So, it is not just coffee,tea and toast. I ordered the items that were the signatures of OldTown (as seen above).

Kopi-o and xi mut milk tea were ordered. Xi mut (stockings) milk tea, their signature. All hot beverages are served with no sugar added. Self-help to the amount of sugar each preferred. The xi mut milk tea was very similar to the milk tea I had in those breakfast shops in hongkong except that the tea from OldTown was slightly better. The kopi-o was high body coffee. I felt it was just so-so.

The polo bun with the slab of butter. It would be better if the bun was warmed to make the slab of butter melt. Unfortunately, it wasn't. The butter was cold. The bun itself was quite nice.

The nasi rendang chicken was delicious. I liked the nasi (rice). One flaw about it was serving it in a bowl-like tray. The chilli oil from the rendang chicken and sambal ikan bilis mixed with the rice. It's like eating rice with chilli oil. Being health consious, you would not have eaten that portion of rice. I am one. So, you paid that amount of money but only ate half portion of the rice.

My bill totalled up to $15.20. I felt it was rather expensive as compared to other coffee outlets like killiney, ya kun, a-mei etc. Of course, when it comes to comparing the varieties of food that are available, OldTown wins. The service was rather good. Food was served fast. The waiters and waitresses were friendly.

OldTown White Coffee

No.9 Yuk Tong Avenue

Singapore 596314

Tel: 74674404

No comments:

Post a Comment