Thursday, September 4, 2008

79. Malaysia - Ah Soon Bak Kut Teh


Praises for this chef. Look at the ferocious fire! So many stoves. Note! They used charcoal. Woohoo....His hands are very fast. Obviously, it's hard to control the fire...but he can control his cooking. It was not easy, dude. Kudos!


The steaming hot claypot bak kut teh. Bak kut (pork ribs) with pig liver.


Claypot sesame chicken

If you ask your ah-gong, ah-ma or daddy and mummy, they will most probably know this ah soon. Oh! That bak kut teh, they would say. Ah Soon bak kut teh is located in Malaysia, Johor Bahru but it is not a stranger to many Singaporeans. You will see a lot of singapore cars parked just outside their shop. Why? The words just pass on and on. Singaporeans are known for the traits of being food lovers. Many Singaporeans patronise Ah Soon. My parents ain't an exception but I was there for the first time because I wanted to try this long discussed ah soon bak kut teh.
It was raining when I went there. They had the rollers down but their signboard printed on the rollers. With the number of customers eating there, you shouldn't have missed it even though you have not heard of them.
As usual (from what I have heard from my parents), the shop was full of customers. We had the bak kut teh with pig liver. Now, put aside the bak kut teh first, I have something to say about the pig liver. If you have eaten pig liver in Malaysia before, you would have realise that the pig liver sold in Malaysia is much much nicer than Singapore's. The pig liver is so fluffy soft and it sort of melts in your mouth the moment you put it in. I have never fail to order pig liver when I eat bak kut teh in Malaysia, not just at Ah Soon. Haha.
Back to the bak kut teh. Well, I think ah soon's was just so-so. The soup base was slight salty, the bak kut wasn't soft enough. I personally preferred bak kut that was cooked till it was soft. Not because I have grandma's teeth. LOL* It wasn't exceptionally delicious so it made me ponder why the thong of singaporean customers there? Haha. Could it be their curiousity acting in like me? I personally felt that the sesame chicken was slightly better than the bak kut teh. Though, it was just chicken cooked in sesame oil. So, you realise how 'powerful' coffee talks can be?
Kedai Makanan Ah Soon
141, Jalan Keris Satu,
Taman Sri Tebrau
80050 Johor Bahru, Johor
Tel: (016-715) -1678/2678/3678
Opens from : 8am -3pm
Rest on Mondays

No comments:

Post a Comment