Friday, May 1, 2009

255. Sydney - Seoul-Ria


Seoul-Ria is located directly above Fujiya. Always packed at meal times. Be early or else you will have to queue. I felt it was very enjoyable to be treated to watch Korean dramas airing on their channels while having our meals.


Soju @AUD11

I'm not a fan of soju and I can't understand why Koreans like soju. It tasted like thinner. And if you realised, Koreans like to suck in air to the back of their mouths after gulping down the soju. Out of curiousity, I tried and I understood why. There will be a alcoholic after-taste akin to sniffing in thinner smell. Just like when you try red wine, you suck in air before bubbling it in your mouth. I still preferred sake over soju.


Ban-chan (side dishes). I was quite surprised that salad macaroni is also one of the ban-chan in Korean cuisine. Usually, the ban-chan are marinated food. At Seoul-Ria, mashed potato and mung bean jelly (aka in Korean - Nok Du Mook) were also served. I was excited to taste the mung bean jelly (far end of pic) as it's the first Korean restaurant that I have visited which served mung bean jelly. I had expected it to be bland but I didn't expect it to be relatively tasteless. All I could taste of was sesame oil.
The taste was pretty similar to the kueh that Hokkiens eat, called gee-ya-kueh, made of rice flour. Slightly yellowish in colour. Hokkiens eat the kueh along with sweet dark soy sauce or braised meat sauce. The difference between mook and gee-ya-kueh being in the texture. The mook is like jelly, like with gelatine added.

Kimchi Chigae
Kimchi pot stew. Bubbling hot, sour and spicy. Makes you the ardent fan of Korean cuisine. Very hook-inducing, I would say.

Jajang Myun

Portion was for 2. The plate of noodles served was the size of a large pizza. Geez. I remembered I had once bought an instant cup of jajang myun at sol mart in Singapore and the taste of the jajang sauce was weird. Very different from the Jajang myun I had in a Korean restaurant in Shanghai. And the taste of the Jajang myun I had at Seoul-Ria was another different taste. It was sweet. Though it was black, it looked very appetizing and it was. Plus, the noodles were tangy. The only flaw being there weren't any marinated radish slices to go along with.
Total bill worked out to be AUD48. I have forgotten the price of the jajang myun and kimchi chigae but both cost AUD37 after deducting the cost of soju. I felt the price of food was cheap. Food was delicious and service was good and prompt. These factors are the pull to the crowd to Seoul-Ria. Highly recommended place! One good practice was observed at Seoul-Ria. Even though the food portions were relatively big, I realised none of the diners left unfinished food. Seoul-Ria provides takeaway plastic boxes for diners who could not finish their food. Diners packed the leftover which I thought was relatively different compared to Singapore. Can you imagine packing the unfinished bibimbap?
Seoul-Ria
Level 2, 605-609 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment