Saturday, May 9, 2009

261. Bakerzin II

Free-flow bread: Raisin Bread and Ciabatta bread
Like Cafe Cartel, get your free-flow bread at a small counter yourself. Besides olive oil and vinaigrette, there was a toaster which the temperature and timing were adjusted. All you have to do is just put the bread into the toaster. 4 kinds of bread to choose from. Italian bread is by nature hard and with a strong yeast taste. After toasted, it was harder so I would rather not have them toasted.
Soup-of-the-day: Corn soup
Corn soup is never my favourite. I find the taste weird - savoury and sweet combined. Bakerzin's version looked sincere to me. Grainy due to the ground/blended corn and the chef added corn bits whole to increase the texture.

Front: Grapefruit Soda
Back: Passion Fruit Soda

I asked myself if that was the soda I have ordered. Basically, both the two glasses of sodas were not very strong in flavour. Carbonated soda snatched the limelight. They were not sweet enough.

Arrabiatta Spaghetti

Arrabiatta Penne
Bakerzin's all day set menu 1 @$13.80++

The set menu 1 consists of free-flow bread, soup-of-the-day, main course and a beverage. The set menu set 2 was slightly pricier. It is $16.80++. The difference being the main courses. I thought set menu 1 was quite a good deal. After ordering, I looked around me, it seemed that none of the diners ordered the set menu 1. When my plate of pasta was served, I understood why. The portion was a big difference. A hill and a mountain. The portion wasn't big, fulfilling for a lady.
The Arrabiata was of tomato base and with chili padi added. Strong fragrance of garlic. The pasta was done al dente (by adding salt in the midst of cooking) and thus would have tasted floury. Pasta done al dente would mean the middle of the pasta stays hard. However, I felt it wasn't even al dente, it was undercooked. Because when I chewed on the pasta, it got stuck to my teeth and I was right, undercooked.
I recalled watching a reality show some time ago and the celebrity said something which left a deep impression in my mind. He said : "I can't finish the food but I'm eating because they are expensive." This was pretty much the scenario at Bakerzin a few hours ago.
Total bill worked out to be $32.50 after GST & taxes. Afterthoughts came as....it was not such a great deal afterall. I guess it wasn't a good idea to have others than cakes at Bakerzin.
See previous entry here.
Jurong Point
#03-58/59

No comments:

Post a Comment