Wednesday, June 24, 2009

281. Homemade Strawberry Jam

IMG_9279-1 (Small)
Strawberries...the main ingredient. I got 2 boxes at $7.50. They were from USA. It was sour, I stopped eating after popping 2. Some time ago, we could get strawberries from Korea from the supermarkets, they were smaller but much sweeter than the USA strawberries. So, I decided to use them to make strawberry jam lest my $7.50 goes to waste. A tad expensive but it's preservatives free.

The old saying, Health = Wealth.

IMG_9286-2 (Small)

Cut them into chunks. Not to cut them too small else in the process of cooking, the fruits will break into smaller pieces. I like my jam pulpy, the taste and texture leveled up with the chunk bites. Pulpy jam works well with sundae, pancakes and scones too.
IMG_9298-1 (Small)
Marinated the strawberry chunks with sugar overnight so that they will be sweetened. One good thing about homemade jam is I can control the amount of ingredients used. I didn't want my jam to be too sweet so I reduced the amount of sugar used. I didn't measure exactly how many grams of sugar I should use, everything's done using approximation. Followed what my heart desired.
IMG_9340-1 (Small)
Simmered the strawberry mixture over medium heat. Added a few drops of lemon juice and some butter. Again, it was based on approximation. Done! Let it cool first before refridgerate. Here, you have a nice and healthy pulpy strawberry spread. Contain it in a clean glass container, cover it with baking parchment paper and seal it tight. Even though it is preservatives free, it should be able to last for 2-3 weeks. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment