Saturday, July 4, 2009

288. 1A Curry Puffs

IMG_9973-1 (Small)

Curry puff, a local snack of Malay origin. The more renowned curry puff brand in Singapore - Old Chang Kee has outlets all over Singapore. But, 1A curry puffs is making its presence known. Their tagline - Crispy Puffs. I tried their crispy sardine puff, each at $1.20.
It has a crust different to Old Chang Kee's. Old Chang Kee's curry puffs have a thicker dough. 1A curry puffs have a buttery layered crust which I felt is something worth mentioning. This is what their tagline emphasized. The crux to the crispiness of the puffs lies in the dough. And, this was a hotel chef's creation.
I personally have a preference for curry puffs with a thin dough. Whenever I have Old Chang Kee's, I will most probably leave half the dough unfinished, especially the twisted end but their fillings are good. Flavourful and spicy.
1A curry puffs have a crispy puff but I personally felt the sardine fillings could be better. Could be made a tad spicier. I think that will be shiok.

No comments:

Post a Comment