Sunday, July 12, 2009

297. Marche

IMG_9180-1 (Small)

A group of us had a gathering at Marche, Vivocity. Many said the previous outlet at Heeren (already closed) was much bigger. I still remembered that we were given a card each and for every dish we ordered, they will mark it down. Now, Marche has gone paper-less. It is using card system like our ez-link. Tap the card and your ordered dish will be recorded in the card.
There were clusters of cooking stations serving salads, savoury crepes, fried vegetables, thick soups, spanish paella, handmade pastas and rotisserie chicken and meats grilled on applewood-fed flames. Also not to miss are the dessert stations like sweet crepes, cakes, movenpick ice-cream and also there's a wine bar near the cashiers.

IMG_9164-1 (Small)
Ice Apple Tea @$17/jug


We ordered 2 jugs, iced apple tea and lemon tea. I liked the apple tea. The apple taste was mild and had a tea fragrance.
IMG_9149-1 (Small)
Mushroom soup (small) @$4
Add the croutons and sprinkle some pepper. The mushroom soup was mediocre. Could be made a tad richer.
IMG_9184-1 (Small)
Salad (medium) @$8.90
I was surprised when my friend came back with this plate of salad. She was walking so carefully lest the greens dropped and marked her trail. Shouldn't these greens be put in a bowl? Putting salad on a plate is so wrong. And, from the quantity of greens that the plate contained, I personally felt it was a plate of overpriced salad.
IMG_9172-1 (Small)
Chicken Crepe @$10.90
The crepe smelled like popiah and tasted like one. It was an oversized popiah. Whipped mushroom cream sauce was given to complement this crepe.
IMG_9150-1 (Small)
Spanish Seafood Paella @$15.90
Paella's (aka paella de marisco) my favourite! When I saw the paella station, I ordered one without hesitation. "10 more mins", the lady cook said. The big blackboard wrote "3pm-6pm". Wow, if I had been there earlier, I would have miss my paella, I thought. My heart beamed.
One of the reasons I loved paella was because it was a very flavourful dish. Having added herbs like thyme, cumin, rosemary, saffron and etc. Ah, also not to forget the seafood juices, wine and chicken/vegetable broth that was absorbed into the rice. And when the paella was ready to serve, the aroma assailed the nostrils and the taste was simply mama-mia!
Marche's paella was delicious, well-flavoured and slightly moist. Must-try!

IMG_9159-1 (Small)
Grilled Chicken Breast @$6.95
The grilled chicken was a tad too salty. The sauce was oil-ladened and didn't earn any points for the dish.
IMG_9161-1 (Small)
Pork Knuckle @$18.90
The meat was quite dry and because of the loss of moisture, the meat was hard. The sauce was the same as for the chicken breast. It's not getting the 'wow' from me.
IMG_9170-1 (Small)
Pizza @$7
Come back 10 mins later for your pizza, the chef told my friend. Freshly made pizza was a plus but the pizza was oily. Too much butter, eh? But the dough was soft and fluffy. Toppings could be made more flavoured.
IMG_9156-1 (Small)
Calamari @$9.95
Pop, pop, pop....one by one we popped them into our mouths. Wait! Don't forget to dip them into the tartar sauce!
IMG_9177-1 (Small)
Chicken Wings @$1.50 ea
IMG_9179-1 (Small)
Chicken Sausage and Garlic Sausage @$6.90 ea

Ok, I didn't expect the sausages to be so expensive. They were nice but maybe you want to spare a thought for your pocket first?
IMG_9189-1 (Small)
Movenpick ice-cream @$4.90/scoop
IMG_9176-1 (Small)
Chocolate Fudge Cake @$4.90

Mediocre. It was slightly dry. What is a fudge cake without the moisture?
IMG_9154-1 (Small)
Strawberry Cake @$3.90

Strawberries! That generous topping of strawberry fruits on the cake was already worth the money. The sponge cake was soft and fluffy. The cake was so good because the strawberries were sweet. Awwww.........can I have one more, please.
IMG_9191-1 (Small)
Crepe of the week - Mango Caramel Crepe @$7.50

The crepe was crispy, topped with fresh fruits, what more can I say? Yum Yum. But, I personally felt mango with caramel tasted a little weird. What's your say?


Let me add on for the sake of rosti lovers. We had one but it was 'attacked' even before I managed to snap a picture of it. I'm not a lover of rosti. In fact, the mention of the name made me think of grease. I felt rosti is greasy and to eat one by oneself is definitely 'overdosage'. I tried Marche's. Well, it was crispy on the exterior and eating it with sour cream was delicious for some. Sorry, I'm still unable to appreciate this dish.

8 of us chalked up a total of $181. Marche is a great place for gatherings and also with the wide variety of food available, dining there was fun and interesting. The food was good, just that I find some food were slightly overpriced.



View Larger Map

Marche
Vivocity
#03-14
Singapore 098585
Tel: 63768226

No comments:

Post a Comment