Tuesday, August 19, 2008

43. Boon Lay Raja Restaurant

Black pepper vension meat
The signature roasted chicken
Broccoli and celery with crystal glass prawns
The teochew style steamed fish
Garlic bamboo clams @$7 per clam


It was a simple fare at my family's favourite, Boon Lay Raja restaurant. Never to miss once was their signature roasted chicken. It was indeed good. Tender, juicy meat together with the crispy roasted skin. It will make you ask for more. It is my mum's favourite!

We ordered the vension meat for the first time. It was alright. I felt the dish isn't piping hot which makes the vension meat not so matched to my expectations. I had once had vension meat in claypot...and of course, the piping hot dish made me yearn for more. Haha...

The bamboo clam is yet another not to be missed item. I guess this place sells the cheapest bamboo clam. Tung Lok sold it at $9 per clam for the same way it was cooked. I liked the way this restaurant cooked this clam. They gave generous portion of garlic (makes it so fragrant) and the portion of the clam was also much more than Tung Lok's.

The crystal glass prawns were so Q. Together with the greens, they make a perfect match. The steamed fish was so-so. This restaurant's best fish dish is the nonya style. A little sour and spicy...the more you eat, the more you will like it. Didn't order it because mum had a sore throat. But, the nonya style is a must-try!

No comments:

Post a Comment