Saturday, August 30, 2008

75. Baystreet 21

Soto ayam soup

Nasi Bojari
lemon cake



Claypot curry chicken with roti prata


Beancurd (Dao Huay)

Baystreet 21 basically serves a variety of cuisines. Thai, Chinese, Malay, Indonesian, Western, Nyonya etc. It's a bit like the HongKong street cafe but Baystreet offers more. I ordered the nasi bojari, an indonesian meal. Most of the main courses comes as a set meal, together with dessert, beverage and soup-of-the-day. I was yearning for pasta earlier on but at Baystreet 21, pasta and western cuisines are considered ala-carte. Also, for pasta, there are only 2 choices to choose from. So, it will be more worthwhile to try out those of the set meals.

I have no idea what is nasi bojari besides it's an indonesian cuisine. So, I researched a bit on it. Nasi bojari means coloured rice with 3 side dishes and they are fried chicken, sambal prawns and beef rendang. At Baystreet 21, it comes along with a fried egg. The soup that was served was soto ayam. Well, there were not much ingredients in the soup as compared to my counterpart who was served the chinese white radish soup. The soto ayam was yellowish (due to tumeric?) and a bit oily. Pretty bland as well. I was pretty hungry when I was seated in. It was roughly 8pm. So, when my nasi bojari was served piping hot about 10 minutes later and it looked delicious, I was glad. Haha. The fried chicken and sambal prawn was nice but the beef rendang was not so nice. The beef tasted a bit like mock meat.

My counterpart had claypot curry chicken with roti prata. It's a combination of the chinese and indian cuisine. One good thing about this restaurant was their food was served piping hot. The curry chicken gravy was a little too salty but just the right thickness. I think if it was served with baguette, it will be more appealing.

So, what's for desserts? There were 3 choices, the lemon cake, beancurd and watermelon. So, I chose the cake and my friend, the beancurd. The lemon cake was just those normal butter cakes. Though, it was said to be lemon cake, I could not taste lemon in it. The beancurd on the other hand was pretty good.

Overall, I would say the prices are reasonably cheap for a set meal. The nasi bojari @$14.90. The claypot curry chicken @$13.90.

Baystreet 21

IMM building

2 Jurong East Street 21

#02-30 Singapore 609601

Tel: 65612202

No comments:

Post a Comment