Saturday, September 27, 2008

109. Bistro Petit Salut


Bistro Petit Salut offers authentic French fare. My loyal makan kaki has helped to rope in a new makan kaki who went with us for lunch at the Bistro Petit Salut to laze the hot saturday afternoon away. It is pretty easy to locate. Just directly behind the MRT station which is still building in progress. With the new MRT station, it will be easier to reach. It has another sister restaurant, Au Petit Salut at Harding Road.

The ambience was cosy and the waiters were all pretty approachable. I realised that the drinks and wine list had more pages than their food list. Get your booze with the french food. The food list consists of 1 page for the set lunch, 1 page for their set dinner and 1 page for their ala-carte.
One of the waiters later came forward with another ala-carte menu and recommended their oysters. My makan kakis are amiable people. 1 of them a raw food-resistant diner. So, the waiter's recommendation was not considered. Besides, none of us seemed keen on the ala-carte menu. All of us decided on the set lunch which consists of 1 appetizer, 1 main course, 1 dessert and a cuppa tea/coffee for $25 and it's strictly no sharing.

Complimentary bread
Seared baby bay scallops with cocktail potatoes, shallot vinaigrette

I didn't have this but took a bite of the baby bay scallops. They were cold and soft.
Cured Norwegian salmon tartare with fresh avocado, olive oil and lemon juice
The salmon tartare was very compatible with the avocado. Though both are unctuous food, the fatty salmon and the buttery avocado was washed away by the refreshing lemon juice. It was a good appetizer. A light appetizer. Very suitable for the ladies.

1/2 dozen baked escargots with cherry tomatoes and garlic butter

I was keen on trying out the baked escargots though my previous experiences with baked escargots didn't leave me any nice impressions. My makan kaki annoyed me with the disgust of snails crawling all over the floor but that didn't put the idea off of having them. I had thought the escargots would be pretty big but I would say I had baby escargots. The garlic butter made the escargots garlicky and aromatic. The cherry tomatoes used lighten the greasy feel of the garlic butter. Must-try! It was delicious.

It went well with the bread.

Oven-roasted chicken leg confit with wild mushroom cream sauce and gratin potato

When this dish was served, I felt it looked pathetic. A chicken leg and some potatoes. My makan kaki does not eat beef nor raw food so he opted for the chicken dish. A very simple dish. But the wild mushroom cream sauce was very fragrant. I could smell the creamy rich sauce when it was served to him seated opposite to me.

Seared onglet beef “CafĂ© de Paris” with French fries

I had this. I was initially more keen on the Provencal-styled slow braised pork ribs in tomato and white wine, gratinated in mixed herbs but my other makan kaki is another non-beef eater. So, I tried out the onglet beef instead. Applause to this dish. Must-try! The french fries were crispy and pretty different from those we had at the fast food chains. The exterior crispy hard and the interior was like mashed potato. 1 thing I didn't like about the onglet beef was it was charred on the surface. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be like this or overcooked. The sauce was good. I think some herbs (maybe basil? parsley?) were added. I like the sauteed onions which made the beef sweet.


Provencal-styled slow braised pork ribs in tomato and white wine, gratinated in mixed herbs

The braised pork ribs were soft and the bones could be easily removed. The white wine and mixed herbs was not too strong.

Choux buns with vanilla ice cream, warm chocolate sauce and sliced almonds

Must-try! I like the choux buns. The warm chocolate sauce was slightly too sweet for me. If dark chocolate sauce was used, I will like it more. When it was served, the choux buns were covered by the melted ice-cream, chocolate sauce and the sliced almonds. I felt the choux buns can be presented in a more obvious way. Frankly speaking, it was more like 2 scoops of ice-cream with almonds flakes.

Mixed tropical fruits crumble infused with vanilla beans

I did not manage to taste the vanilla beans in the crumble but the crust of the crumble was good. The crust was flaky and not too dry. It was a hot dessert. The filling was piping hot. I felt the filling of mixed tropical fruits in the crumble was slightly too sweet. I think there were apple and pineapple in it.

Passionfruit Blanc Manger

The passionfruit blanc manger is a must-try! The blanc manger was very much made like our Italian dessert-panna cotta. Slight sweetness. It was very smooth. The passionfruit was sour and I think the sweet and sour combination was very palatable. My makan kaki didn't like it because the passionfruit was too sour for her.

Tea/coffee. My makan kakis joked about enquiring on the production place of the milk provided.

Each of us paid about $30 with the addition of service charge and GST. I think the lunch was pretty worthwhile and the ambience was good. They are currently having a citibank promotion. Check out their website for more details.


Bistro Petit Salut
Blk 44 Jln Merah Saga
Tel: 64749788

1 comment:

  1. if u need a makan kaki let me know ok, i also always looking for new eating partners. haha!

    bistro petit salut and au petit salut are two places i also been saying on my heart but yet to put my mouth in action yet. sign, too many places to eat, too little time and cash. haha!

    ReplyDelete