Tuesday, September 30, 2008

111. Sweet Indulgence


Today's food hunt was over at Stanley Street, 2 streets away from Huat Kee and Beng Hiang. A turn at the 7-11, it is Sweet Indulgence. There were only 2 customers when me and my makan kakis arrived at the place. We were quickly approached by the friendly waitress. It is pretty small, approximately 30 seats. I like the bar counter. Though it occupied almost half of the area of the restaurant, I couldn't resist taking a few more glances at the mosaic floral designs. The chandelier wasn't lit and it did made the bar counter pretty dull.

Complimentary bread. Bread that contained herbs. I was attracted to the black sauce added to the olive oil because usually only olive oil was served. It was vinegar. It went well with the bread.
Chicken and mushroom pizza @$15.80
It had chunks of chicken marinated with herbs, mushrooms, onions and roasted peppers. The pizza base was home-made as stated in their menu. It was light. The ingredients weren't too strongly flavoured. A careful mastication of the pizza will your taste buds detect the taste of it. Compared it to the home brand, Pizza Hut, you will realise the former goes heavy in their marinating of the ingredients because their pizza is always so full-flavoured. Or maybe they added a lot of vestin aka MSG. If you are more of the original taste person, go for Sweet Indulgence. I like the roasted peppers. The thin pizza crust wasn't very much to my liking as I find it a bit hard.

Spaghetti with spicy prawns @$17.90

More than the aglio olio. Added asparagus and mushrooms. Aglio Olio is a dish that is easy to cook, difficult to perfect. Apart from the important ingredient garlic, I tasted a tinge of sourness. Vinegar or white wine added? I'm not too sure. I think it made the spaghetti more appetizing and not just the usual garlic + olive oil taste.

Spaghetti Carbonara @$14.90

Speaking in general, I will not order a carbonara unless I crave for a creamy plate of spaghetti. I personally felt that carbonara should not be eaten in big portions. A small portion to satisfy the crave will leave a good encounter. It is always good when you have your first mouth of it but as you continue, you will start to grow sick of it and in the end, you can't finish the plate of carbonara. This was my experience with carbonara.

The carbonara was creamy rich. And like what I have experienced, my makan kaki couldn't finish her plate of carbonara. It was not that the carbonara wasn't good but just you know....like the abovementioned.


Spaghetti Marinara @$19.90

The marinara was slightly better than mediocre. An assortment of seafood such as mussels, clams and prawns. No squids for Sweet Indulgence's rendition but it didn't make the spaghetti any less appealing. It was slightly spicy. A generous amount of clams were added but the clams were mostly baby clams and it was a bit of a hassle to just pick out a tiny piece of meat.


Tiramisu @$11.80

The tiramisu...many huhas about it. So I die die also must try it. It was like what the others raved about. It was good. Must-try! I have tried a lot of tiramisus so I'm a bit particular when it comes to trying out the tiramisu. I felt the base of the tiramisu (the ladyfingers) was slightly too moist. Other than this, there was nothing much to pick on.

The bill totalled up to $88.30 for 3 pax. Reasonably priced. They do offer other main courses which are slightly more expensive than pizza/pastas. I didn't really like the dining experience because the waitresses were always looking at us. Later on, the chefs stood near the bar counter and were like gawking at us when we were having our tiramisu. It made us uneasy and I think it was a bit rude. If I were to visit it again, it is definitely for the tiramisu.

Sweet Indulgence

2 Stanley Street

Singapore 068721

Tel: 6223 7707

No comments:

Post a Comment