Saturday, September 6, 2008

83. Tung Lok Mooncakes


Tung Lok used the shanghai ladies for their mooncake promotion. If I didn't remember wrongly, Tung Lok have been using symbols of shanghai culture for their mooncakes. This shanghai lady, so pretty and elegant. They used a few shanghai ladies and not just one that you've seen here.
Why Tung Lok out of so many others? I'm not a mooncake lover but I want to try it. The food hunter's traits. Their liquer collection attracted me. I'm not a hard core drinker but merging liquer into mooncakes, a traditional food, this is something interesting. Snowskin mooncakes with liquer-filled chocolate truffle. Flavours in the truffle are champagne, bailey's , cherry brandy and peppermint. Mooncakes sales at the Takashimaya atrium (until 14 sep 2008) attracted a lot of people. I was there yesterday. But the whole carpeted floor was full of used toothpicks and people were shouting here and there. Somehow I felt the mooncakes became not so exquisite despite the nice and pretty package and the "wow" brands. WooPs.

This is the peppermint. The peppermint wasn't too strong. The combination was quite good but didn't have the "wow" effect. Haha. Worth to mention was the snowskin was very soft and the lotus paste not too sweet. It's not like some others, the fillings so sweet and the skin only 'can-do'.

This is bailey's. I like this best. I personally think that drinking Bailey alone is too sweet. It's sort of like drinking vanilla milkshake with high vanilla content. But for this, I think it went well with the mooncake. The lotus paste wasn't too sweet.

This is the cherry brandy. It was not nice, I do not like it. Maybe I didn't know how to appreciate the brandy? I felt it had a rather weird taste. A bit too strong for me.


This is with champagne. Not too strong either or maybe the chocolate has already covered the champagne. Champagne is light-flavoured. I couldn't really taste the champagne. But it was nice though. Like the peppermint, no "wow" effect. But, if you are a chocolate lover, you will love it still.

I got the 8 mini mooncakes for $38.50. Originally at $40. UOB card 10% discount but addition of 7% GST. Jeez...I should have bought the true-indulgence collection which is non-alcoholic and exchange half (4 minis) with my friend. So, we'll get to taste the 2 collections. Aiya....Haha.

2 comments:

  1. yeah easier to read like this! i had the yan ting snowskin mooncake, they use martell truffle.

    but dun think i will get tung lok one, not attracted by them. royal china one looks not bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't go around tasting them. It was so crowded at the booths. I walked straight to Tung Lok's booth, got my mooncakes and paid for them. LOL*

    ReplyDelete