Sunday, September 7, 2008

84. Bosses


Bosses - 黑社会. I was going to have lunch at 3pm. Coincidentally, Bosses was serving dim sum at this time, so my kakis and I went in to dine. The choices for dim sum were quite limited. About 20+ dishes. But they have a pretty wide range of food to choose from the menu. Very naturally, the word '黑社会' linked me to the Hong Kong traid or secret society, unlike western countries where they are called mafia and etc. It was partly due to the immense production of Hong kong traids' movies in the early 90's. Those 古惑仔 (gangsters). Indeed, cantonese songs were played in Bosses, the waitresses spoke in cantonese and everything was in black. The tables, chairs, lanterns and even their namecard (above). Black, the international colour for traid members. Black, it represents mystery, elegant, modernity and evil. Wooo.....


Wasabi mayonnaise prawns @$18

Wasabi mayonnaise prawns toppled with fried enoki mushrooms (金针菇). I would say this dish was a disappointment. The enoki mushrooms were soggy, too oily from the frying instead of crispy. The wasabi mayonnaise which was the most important in this dish didn't entice my taste buds. Instead, I was like "1 is enough for me".
Signature custard bun @$5

This was the most hoped-for dish but it was not exceptionally good as I had thought to be. The auntie who served it warned us it was hot. Ya, the liquid custard was hot. The custard was sweet and salty. I think salted egg yolk was added? The custard was good but not the skin of the bun. It was sticky which I didn't like. And it could have been due to the dense filling, the bottom of the bun was stuck to the baking paper cup. My advice for diners: Eat it like the xiao long bao. I had wanted to take a more appealing picture of it but was hindered by the moving custard. Haha. Poor photography skills.


Abalone sauce braised rice @$16

The above price was for 3 portions. This braised rice was what we known as 'mui fan', rice in gravy. It was like seafood fried rice cooked in abalone sauce. The rice was pretty bland and there weren't many ingredients. I think this dish was overpriced.




Shanghai steamed meat dumplings (xiao long bao) @$6.50

Finally, this was one which was good. The meat was tender and the juice overflowed the tablespoon. They added spring onions to the meat fillings too. Haha. My makan kaki remarked it was better than Ding Tai Feng's. I agreed with him that the xiao long bao was good.



Salted egg pipa beancurd @$14

The salted egg wasn't a lot because the beancurd was not salty. I thought the beancurd was those very crispy kind but it wasn't. And with the sauce, they were far from crispy. 3 of us only managed to finish half of this dish. I think it will go well with plain rice though.



Mushroom and chicken rice roll @$6.50

This was good. A different filling from the usual char siew, scallop or prawn. Like Ipoh hor fun, just that you are eating hor fun in the form of rice rolls. Haha. The sauce wasn't too salty. It went well with the rice rolls.


Crispy mango salad prawn @$6.80

The mango was very sweet. I think there was mayonnaise in the roll as well. It was too oily. It was crispy from frying but I could taste the oil apart from the mango and mayonnaise. It's like some of the oil didn't drain off. I ate half and dumped the other half.

Some thoughts to share here: I was wondering, according to my cooking experiences, these rolls could have been taken out from the fridge still cold/frozen and the quick frying of it caused the oil to be trapped and thus oily.


Bi Luo Chun @$4

Overall, I felt the fried food at Bosses was quite oily. Put aside the fact that fried food will be oily. The fried food at Bosses was ....I think can be better. A pot of Bi Luo Chun to wash away the irk of oil. Haha. The bi luo chun was pretty refreshing.


The service at Bosses was good. The food was served very fast. Our small table was quickly filled with the dishes. We had to finish up some of the dishes in order for the other dishes to be served. Haha. If you are famished and only willing to spare the minimal waiting time, this is the express restaurant you should go. The chinese waitress who served us was quite forgetful. She forgot to key in 2 of the dishes that we have ordered. You can call for service just by pressing the buttons to the remote which was placed on every table. Every press beeped. It worked. Prompt service.

Total bill was $91.45 for 3 pax. I think it was quite expensive. Considering the food which most weren't to my liking, I think it is not worthwhile to dine at Bosses.

Bosses

No. 1 Harbour Front Walk

#02-156 Vivocity Singapore 098585

Tel: 63769740


No comments:

Post a Comment