Wednesday, September 17, 2008

94. Hong Kong - Tai Woo Seafood Restaurant

My friend recommended this Tai Woo Restaurant's dim sum in Hong Kong and so I went.
"Tai Woo enjoys renowned reputation for its delectable and wide variety of gastronomic dishes. The restaurant has repeatedly won remarkable results in the "Best of the Best Culinary Awards" organized by the Hong Kong Tourism Board."
Well, I'm not too sure if this applies to their dim sum. Most of their culinary awards were seafood dishes. They have a few branches in Hong Kong. We went to the one at Causeway Bay. A lot of Hong Kong celebrities visited this restaurant.
I reached at about 10.30am and we were so lucky, after 10.30am, all of the dim sum were at half price. Wow....I think most probably those were the leftover from the morning crowd and thus the discount. Haha.
This was Tai Woo's rendition of century egg porridge. It was good. The unusual thing about it was preserved vegetables (mui choy) were added in. It was not those salty vegetables. I think as an ingredient, it sort of create the "crunch" feel and you won't think century egg porridge is just century eggs and pork.
I like their mala cake (Yellow sponge cake). Very spongy. Look at the black beans pork ribs. Usually, we don't have broccoli but Tai Woo's has.
The rice rolls was good. Must-try! The skin was thin and spring onions were added to it.
We have this in Singapore. I have no idea what is it called. In Hokkien, they called it "ji zou" (Literally: fried dates) In my previous entry, I did mention that I wasn't a big fan of this. But this was different from the one I ate at Guia Hotel. It was filled with green bean paste. So, it was the same we had in Singapore.
We didn't eat a lot because we wanted to leave our stomachs for other food. Haha. Tai Woo's dim sum is different from the dim sum we have in Singapore because their's have extra ingredients added, such as the century egg porridge and the black beans pork ribs. After the discount, the bill totalled up to be HKD113 (SGD28.30). This is considered very cheap. Haha.


Tai Woo Seafood Restaurant
27 Percival St., Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Tel: 2893 0822
Opens: 9:30am to 3:00am (Sun)
10:00am-3:00am(Mon-Sat)

No comments:

Post a Comment