Saturday, October 11, 2008

132. Lai Lai Family Restaurant

It's time to change to a simple fare before me and my makan kakis turned broke. Last night, we ventured to the bustling Liang Seah Street for Lai Lai's beef noodles and the Lu Rou Fan. But in the end, Lu Rou Fan was left out of our list. I have been to Liang Seah Street many times, for the steamboat next door, for Ah Chew's desserts opposite it and yet not once for Lai Lai.
A Taiwanese eatery sandwiched between 2 steamboat restaurants. On the level floor, there is a bar counter but no alcohol drinks, just bubble tea. I reckoned the glasses were just for show.
The 3 of us took us the sets A, B and C. All on noodles. A main, a side dish and a glass of bubble tea at $13.30 did help us save a few dollars......to be accumulated for the next makan hunt? Maybe.

Side dish- Fried beancurd

The fried beancurd wasn't in anyway special. Just fried beancurd.

Side dish - Pepper Salt Chicken

The pepper salt chicken is a famous snack of Taiwan. I still remembered the days I toured Taiwan. Every night, I will queue for the pepper salt chicken at Xi Men Ding. It was so woolala....makes me drool now. The pepper salt chicken at Lai Lai was just so-so because I think the one at Xi Men Ding is the ultimate. My makan kaki felt it was a tad too salty.

Noodles in miso base with fish fillet toppings

I didn't taste this so I shall reserve my comments on it. However, my makan kaki who ate this had the runs for the night. I am not sure if this bowl of noodles caused his bowels to suffer or he ate something wrong earlier on. Me and another didn't run to the loo.

Beef Noodles

Added another $1 to enjoy tendons. It does look like it's a big bowl but it was definitely the psychological influence. The meat and tendons, 2 pieces each. Noodles in soup sure looked more in quantity than a bowl of dry noodles. The soup broth had a piquant herbal taste. The noodles was harder than the usual noodles we eat. The texture was more like that of udon. More chewy. I wondered if the noodles would be hard to digest.

Side dish - Century egg and tofu

This is another common side dish in Taiwan. I think it's a pretty healthy starter. No oil. The tofu in its original taste. Maybe just not too healthy to eat too many century eggs.

Pork ribs noodles

The noodles were dry. Stewed pork ribs were then added to the noodles, together with red dates and wolfberries. Very much like a bowl of vegetarian style noodles. The taste was quite light.

3 of us ordered the red tea bubble tea. The drink was quite different in taste to the Sweet Talk's version. It was quite weird. I guessed the difference laid in the type of red tea and not the milk. It wasn't too sweet though. The pearls were smaller in size and was sweetened, more likeable compared to Sweet Talk's.

Add another $1.80 to enjoy dessert of the day - Almond Jelly. The dessert was basically an instant type. Make the almond jelly and add a spoonful of canned cocktail.

The bill totalled up to $47.20. Service was prompt. Could cater to 2 storeys of customers.

Lai Lai Family Restaurant
20 Liang Seah Street
Singapore 189041
Tel: 6837 1556

Opening Hours: 11.30 am - 3am daily

No comments:

Post a Comment