Sunday, November 16, 2008

173. Sheraton Towers Hotel II - International Buffet

I'm back to Sheraton Towers Hotel! This time round, for their International buffet on Sunday. I felt the variety of food was pretty much similar to what was offered on a Saturday's High-tea buffet.
The olive seafood pasta was delicious. Cooked in cream sauce with ingredients like the succulent prawns and mussels. It wasn't too creamy and I liked it. And yes...I'm a pasta person.
The mini vegetarian pizza was surprisingly good. Didn't look very appealing but it was flavoursome. I felt the kids will love it.
I have never eaten a proper Turkish meal and the only Turkish food that I have eaten was the Turkish kebab. The pita cut into a quarter size was served with 4 condiments. I have no idea of what were they. Hummus in olive oil (yellow), some basil or cilantro dip (green)? Anyway, I'm someone who doesn't know how to appreciate this dish so I shall reserve my comments.
The fried wanton was very crispy. The filling consisted of prawn was light in flavour and overall went well with the sweet and sour and lemon sauce.
Chicken wing was my mum's favourite. I didn't eat the chicken wing because by the time I realised I missed it, I was filled to the brim. But my mum said they were good!
The fried crab stick was so-so.












We have Chef Lee at the sashimi station. The sashimi combo consisted of ebi, salmon, tuna, octopus, roe and another fatty piece which I have no idea what that was. But the sashimi were fresh. The ebi was so sweet.














The mini chicken pie was a disappointment. Same as the yam pie from the last visit. The crust was too buttery and the filling a tad too dry.

The shotglasses of seafood did perk me up a little. The shell clam was tangy and refreshing after the dry mini chicken pie. The unagi and cha soba shotglass looked so appetizing but taste wise, I felt it could have been better. The dipping sauce was quite bland. The 2 succulent prawns looked as if they were calling out to me. They were tangy. The other was crayfish. The sushi was surprisingly better than I had imagined. The rice was cooked to the right taste and was kneaded to the right texture. Loose in between the grains and yet not to the extend of falling apart when I picked them up.


Roasted beef. Judging from the piece given, I supposed it was medium-rare and definitely didn't expect it to be of wagyu grade for the price I'm paying. Nevertheless, the taste was great and no need for the mustard.







The beef noodles was a little heavy on the herbal taste. Howevere, it tasted great. It wasn't suppose to look so pathetic. There should have been beef balls but my brother stopped the chef from putting them in because he didn't like them.



I missed the fruit tea jelly the previous visit because they looked like a blob of chicken fat sitting in that big dessert bowl. Today, I tried them out and I was truly apologetic for my wrong judgement. They were so nice! Smelt of tea and so velvety smooth. Very light too.



The almond and coconut mousse cake was another thumbs-up. It was light and topped with coconut flakes made it a good cake to go with tea. However, no almond taste was tasted.

The shotglass of mango and fruit tea jelly was a flop. The texture wise was alright but it tasted like medicine. Remember the days as a child when we had to drink the red cough syrup?
Walnut brownie was a tad too dry.


The scones and blueberry bread pudding were piping hot. The bread pudding was hook-inducing. Scones tasted great too!
The madeline were a tad too small and moist. I supposed a result of excess sugar.

The tiramisu was served in a big bowl. I felt if it was served in a shotglass individually instead of having to scoop like eating jelly would have been better. The alcohol content was too much. Too moist.

All-time favourite. The chocolate fondue. The chocolate was dark chocolate. It went well with the fruits.












The new york cheese cake was delicious. I tasted a bit of lemon in it. It wasn't too moist nor too heavy on the cheese.

The chocolate mousse was a little too big in portion. Though it was dark chocolate, being a heavier taste kind of food somehow curb the appetite.





The fruits were sweet. The melon, pineapple and strawberries were sweet! This was a great comfort.









Overall, I felt it was not so worthwhile even though there were sashimi, roast beef and the palatable desserts. The variety of food was too few for the price paid.

International buffet on Sunday cost $32.80++ per pax.
Dine from 12pm-4pm
15 % off for Amex, DBS, HSBC and Citibank card holders.
7th person dines free with every 6 paying adults for UOB card.

See previous review

Sheraton Towers Hotel
The Dining Room
39 Scotts Road

Singapore 228230
Phone: (65) 6737 6888

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Nice pictures and so detailed. I like your blog & food reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha nice post! The desserts seems really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wen: Hi, Thanks!

    Food Lover: Yes. Some of the desserts were palatable.

    ReplyDelete