Saturday, November 22, 2008

180. LIC Event @Obolo



A few of us, mostly food bloggers attended LIC's dessert tasting event at Obolo last night. This was the dessert degustation menu for the night. 9 cheesecakes & entremets, 2 tartlets, 1 shooter and 2 macarons.













Christmas is round the corner and also as a welcome gift, Obolo gave us each a complimentary pack of cranberry and chocolate chip cookies. Also, a 15% off for purchase of their products but I think none bought the cakes after having had so many cakes at a go.
The cookies were nice not because they were complimentary. It was crispy. Though with chocolate chips included, it was not too sweet. In fact, I tasted a hint of saltiness. Great to go with tea.














(L-> R): Mango-Passion Cheesecake, Caraibe, Chocolate Noir tartlet, Le Cassis, New York Cheesecake, Tiramisu Au Chocolat, Chocolat-Passion tartlet, Nikita and Pinada Cheesecake.

Mango-Passion Cheesecake
- I could taste of the mango puree mixed with the cheese, not so much on the passion fruit. The mango fruit made into puree is of gluey form, mixed with the cheese and the baked cheesecake was moist. I find the taste a bit weird. It gave me a feeling like I'm drinking a version of the sweet and salty mango puree.
Caraibe
- I would say this is wholly chocolate!
Chocolate Noir
- Supposedly to use a semisweet chocolate, which they did, filled the tarlet with dark chocolate ganache, the ganache was a tad too sweet. 1 thing I realised about Obolo, most of the chocolate items were a tad too sweet.
Le Cassis
- The purple top mousse layered cake. It was too sourish for me. The only thing I liked about it was the crunchy praline feulletine but it wasn't thick enough. Lacked the crunch.
New York Cheesecake
- It was light. Though it was mentioned in the menu the cheesecake had a hint of lemon, I didn't taste it. It was smooth and moist. I felt the texture was more of like tofu cheesecake.
Tiramisu Au Chocolat
- It was not like those moist tiramisu we had in cups. It was a tiramisu cake, harder in texture. The coffee, cognac and dark rum were not so significant. Overall, the tiramisu appeared modest.
Chocolat Passion
- If you want to perk up, this will do the job. This tartlet was of ultimate sourness. Like eating lime.
Nikita
- The green top mousse layered cake. I had thought it was a light matcha flavour but it wasn't. It was pistachio. The middle layer of cherry-raspberry gelee balanced the nutty taste of the pistachio.
Pinada Cheesecake
- It was a new taste to me. I felt it was a great combination. I preferred it more to the mango-passion cheesecake. Rum-soaked raisins weren't too heavy with the rum content and they gave the moist cheesecake the texture.
My pick(s)
: Nikita & Pinada Cheesecake
















Dessert shooter - Summer Berries

I do agree with Char that the mascarpone mousse wasn't rich enough. I felt they could have added vanilla pods to make the mascarpone mousse more flavoured. The mixed berry compote mixed with kirsch were a tad too sour. I felt they could have make the fruit stew more gluey and lessen the amount to make the overall taste appropriate.














We had the hazelnut-chocolate macaron and matcha macaron. The mango-passion macaron was changed to matcha macaron after many were taken aback by the sourness of the chocolat-passion tartlet. The passion fruit was too sour.

See my previous entry on hazelnut-chocolate macaron.

Thank goodness the matcha flavour wasn't too overpowering. But....it turned out that the macaron was too sweet. It will be good if the filling layer is made thinner.

The taste of the desserts we had were at the two ends, it was either too sweet or too sour. Even so, I thought I could get some consolation from the fruits on the cakes but they were also too sour. >.<
It was a great night at the LIC dessert tasting event, having had tasted almost all of Obolo's cakes and at the same time, got to meet the food bloggers face-to-face. Thanks to LIC aka Brad for organising this event. Thanks to Obolo for the warm welcome.
Obolo
452 Joo Chiat Road
Singapore 427665
Tel: 6348 9791
Opening Hours:
Tue-Thur: 12.30pm - 9.30pm
Fri: 12.30pm - 10pm
Sat: 11.30am - 10pm
Sun: 11.30am - 9.30pm
Closed on Mon & PH

6 comments:

  1. hello, was great meeting u last night, tho' we didn't chat much. you're right about the desserts, both were kinda like at the extreme ends but i found the nikita (pistachio ivoire mousse) one and summer berries shooter my favorites.

    btw, i noticed we're using the same camera! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. foodiesqueen also so fast post the outing already. thanks for coming, see the difference between dslr and normal camera! told you should have buy earlier right! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Evan, oh my....we used the same camera!! Looks like I have more to learn from you !! Your pictures looked great! So pro!

    I finally met the lady behind the great food blog! :D

    Hey Brad, tks for your advices on DSLR. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, I am still using a P&S though... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. nah, not pro at all, you flatter me. and i'm just really a normal food blogger, like most people =) r u going for brad's lunch outing? i'll be going, so if you are maybe we can get better acquainted nx time!

    fen : u may b using P&S but yr knowledge on DLSR is unsurpassed. was terribly impressed when u told me so much on our train ride. so when r u gonna gimme more photography tips, sifu? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yah...I wanted to go but can't promise that I can make it. Can only confirm at a later date. LOL*

    ReplyDelete