Wednesday, December 10, 2008

196. Genting Highlands - Resort Cafe


Pay before you enter. Breakfast is a must for me, especially important for a person like me who has been stricken with a weak gastric for years. I have went to check out their dinner buffet and it was quite a wide spread. I must say in my scour for food at Genting Highlands, I came across quite a few restaurants offering Indian food. Resort Cafe is one of them. Half the dinner spread at Resort Cafe was Indian food the day I checked it out.

I decided on their breakfast buffet, costing at RM25.30 for adults and RM13+ (can't remember the exact price) for child and the rest of the group followed suit.


It was very spacious inside. The main was decorated in oriental style. Simpler decorated rooms were separated with transparent glasses which catered for bigger group of diners.

Bright lightings at the food counters made the food so appealing. I was first welcomed by a few baskets of bread slices, cakes and cereals at the entrance. They have got a few baskets and toasters so people wouldn't have to toast their bread on just a pathetic toaster.
4 types of cereals were available. I felt a mixture of the cereals gave a well-flavoured bowl as compared to having just one. Don't mind me...to me, having more choices is good. Indeed, at least I got to taste a hint of sweetness which came from the koko crunch and honey stars. The corn flakes and rice crisps were bland cereals. Given a choice of hot or cold milk, I opt for the later. Hot milk would have made the cereals soggy by the time I reached my table.


The salad bar which didn't offer a lot of choices. I felt it would have been a wiser choice not to place the salad bar upfront because it made the place looked quite like with nothing much to offer. It was thanks to the breads next door that changed my impression of the place though on a closer look, there wasn't many.
Vermicelli station. I didn't have any nor did I walked near to take a look what was available. It's a cook-it-yourself station. I thought it was quite dangerous to leave the pots with the high fire flame.

Egg toast, drizzled with honey syrup. I saw how the chef made this. It was fried on the same iron board as the fried egg for nasi lemak. It was blandless if eaten without the honey syrup. However, the honey syrup they have used was slightly thick. It would have been better if the honey syrup was a more diluted version.

Nasi lemak. It would be a shame if it wasn't good. Frankly speaking, I think the Malays can cooked a more sedap (delicious) nasi lemak than the Chinese. Chicken rendang was offered with the normal ingredients of nasi lemak instead of the fried kunning fish. I don't eat kunning fish...and I don't understand why the fried kunning fish in nasi lemak. It was fried till so dry and the fleshy fish meat became like hard tree bark. Their nasi lemak was good. Rice was soft and fluffy. I didn't see balls of rice, the rice was well separated. The rendang chicken was a tad too oily but it was good.
They called it Prata but the actual name for it is puris. Puris is a type of fluffy deep fried wheat flour bread. Break a hole and pour some curry into it. I think the puris they have served was a bit thicker, not so crispy so the name as prata. In fact, I think the diners, mostly Chinese, have no idea what that thing is except for prata which associates with Indian food. I liked it. The curry wasn't too spicy and heavy on its tumeric content.


Fried spring rolls and wedges were very crispy. The fried food were fried at the counter and thus minimised the time to transport them from the kitchen. The chef fried the food in small quantity at a time. I felt it was a rather attentive move to do so. It would be such a turn off if the fried food was soggy.

The fried rice which looked simple was very well-flavoured. Though it looked as if there weren't many ingredients added to make it looked delicious, I guessed the efforts went into the seasonings used.



Peanut congee and pau. Served hot. Didn't eat these, comments reserved.


While sorting out my photos, I realised I didn't manage to try out quite a few of the food at the buffet. Geesh... The amount of food I had wasn't worth RM25.30 at all. But, the range of food was quite sufficient for a breakfast feast. Maybe the group of us were too eager to step out to have fun at the theme park and thus the smaller appetite.


Resort Cafe
Genting Highlands
Genting Hotel Level 2
Breakfast starts from 6.30 am

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know u went Genting too, believe it or not, I was at Genting on the 13th Dec :D

    Since it was only a day trip, this was the eatery I have been... I did walk into one of the cafes selling cupcakes but the cakes didn't tempt me...

    The buffet was so-so and I didn't take a single dessert, the problem with Malaysia buffet is the lack of good desserts, the bulk of it were mainly kuehs...

    But the selection for this buffet is quite impressive and the bulk of it were Indian and Chinese food... I thought the other buffet place looks more tempting but I can't remember the name anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...So many ppl were there. I would have missed you in the crowd anyway. LOL. Hmm...I went for the morning buffet. I felt taste of the food was just so-so overall but it was cheap. I wouldn't have mind having kuehs if they were nice but they didn't have kuehs for morning buffet. LOL

    ReplyDelete