Wednesday, December 10, 2008

197. Genting Highlands - Bakery

If you are going to Genting Highlands, especially on the days that others would be flocking there like you, I strongly suggest you do some research on the restaurants you would want to patron. This is to avoid queuing and yet ended up eating yucky food. This is what I detest the most. Because everywhere up on the highlands is so crowded, our thoughts that crowded means good food becomes an inaccurate index to follow.

I did some homework before embarking on my journey. The theme park hotel I'm staying provided a rather detailed guide on the F&B at the Highlands, so it was a re-affirmation of the locations.

I didn't really put Bakery on my list but I thought it could be a place where I could grab a bread or something. After the dim sum at Hao You Ji, quite a lousy breakfast, I wasn't really full. I thought of getting something sweet because desserts were not served before 11am at Hao You Ji. I was attracted to the beautifully designed cupcakes that filled the transparent displays shelves, clearly seen along the common corridor. A glance at the sparkling signboard did I realise it was Bakery!

I was quite surprised when the pastry chef actually has to stand at the counter to serve customers. Besides the pastries available, there were also sandwiches, salads and etc. All that makes up a cafe and not just of a Bakery.


Strawberry Tart @RM10

A closer look at the cupcakes, I felt they didn't really look as appetizing. The strawberry tarts at the lowest rack in the chiller called out to me. Alright, you are the one! No price was stated but my instinct told me I should get it regardless of the price. And it wasn't expensive. Converting to Sing dollars, it was just about $4. It was very cheap.


Usually the fruit tarts we had was a slob of cream that filled the bottom of the crust and fruits that lined the top. I was quite surprised when I tasted something sweet. A layer of thin molten chocolate spread at the most bottom, followed by a thick layer of chocolate crust. The mini red strawberries weren't sweet. As expected, smaller strawberries are most of the times, sour in taste. Looks can be deceiving. Do away with the dainty bite, eat a big mouth of it. The strawberry, cream, chocolate layer.....and it tasted great. The only thing I didn't like was the crust was a tad too hard. If it wasn't for the freshness, I think the tart may well be a dart. (it's bull's eye to the bin.)

Bakery
Genting Highlands

2 comments:

  1. This was the cupcake place I was talking about... Looks like the desserts weren't too bad after all... It was a pity I didn't see the entry before I left for my short trip... I walked in twice but came out hands empty...

    Strange, I have been visiting your blog but the Toast entry seems to be there for a couple of days so by the time I am back, I missed the entire bulk of your Genting entry... It was only via foodbuzz that I saw one of your Genting entries...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My last entry before I went Genting was [Toast] and I blogged a few entries on Genting after I came back. I think that's why you missed them.

    I think the tart I had was quite good and cheap. Would not want to use the tart as a generalisation for the rest of the desserts. :D

    ReplyDelete