Tuesday, December 16, 2008

203. Yee Cheong Yuen Noodle Restaurant



The former Yee Cheong Yuen Noodle Restaurant is now called Yi Bao. My colleague told me how it used to be. They have to queue up for their noodles and unlike now, it is air-condtioned and waitresses serve you your noodles. However, on their bill, it is still registered as Yee Cheong Yuen and the business is still as good as before.
No doubt, the prices hiked. Yi Bao offers quite a handful of snacks and local dishes.

Chestnut drink
Ipoh Hor Fun

I had a set which consisted of the Ipoh hor fun, a glass of chestnut drink and a bowl of 3 prawn dumplings for $7 (w/o GST). The hor fun was very smooth and soft. I thought the gravy was a tad too black. And Hey...there's no mushroom in my Ipoh hor fun! Lacked the mushroom fragrance. But, the chili sauce was good. It was a very fulfilling lunch.

Prawn dumpling soup @$4

The prawn dumpling was decent. Slightly hard and I felt could have been more flavoured. It was light and not oily.

Steamed chicken noodles @$5

The noodles was springy, not the instant noodles kind. It was the same sauce used for Ipoh hor fun so don't expect any surprises.

The bill totalled up to $19 for 2 pax, inclusive of GST. I would say it was slightly expensive for just noodles.

Many people may just make do with any food, even if it was very unpalatable. I'm most probably the one who would rather go an extra mile for better food. I'm those who would be happy and de-stressed if I have had nice food. And guess what I have finally got for myself.. ...check out my next entry!

Yi Bao
31 Lorong Liput
Holland Village
Daily 8:30am - 11pm

2 comments:

  1. On contrary, I thought the noodle texture feels no different from those factory-made noodle sold in those typical noodle stalls. If you had tried Yi Bao's noodle 5 years ago, you will agree with me that their noodle standard has dropped big time.

    Perhaps due to their uprated infrastructure (airconditioning, "designer" plates and utensils, etc) they have to cut the cost and up the price to keep their business viable. If only they realised that it's not about the ambience, but their food, that people were patronising their stall. I believe now alot of their old customers, like myself, have shunned away from their stall simply because of their big drop in standard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zen, frankly speaking, I felt the noodles weren't not the exceptionally good type. I felt they were just slightly better than those we could get at some hawker centres. Although, I have not patronised Yi Bao before, I felt the same as you from what I've heard from my collegue. She was 1 of their old customers. Tks for dropping by. :D

    ReplyDelete