Saturday, January 10, 2009

218. Timbre @The Substation



I finally got to this place after going a few rounds at Stamford Road. Timbre is located directly opposite the Singapore Management University (SMU) city campus and within the rapidly developing arts belt and museum circuit. If you drive, like me, then you have better get the directions right. Outside Timbre is a public car park, free parking after 5pm. However, limited lots, so be prepared to wait. I brought along my DSLR, only to find out that I have forgotten to slot back my SD card. What a muddle-head I am! Luckily, I got a back-up digicam in my bag but it couldn't work well in the night. The pictures were poorly shot.



Slick extended platform bar if you just want to have a drink. I liked the filled-up with bottles cabinet. So balinese, I thought.
Temporary set-up tents and with teak hued furnishings, we enjoyed our dinner under the foliage. Its al fresco setting amidst the hustle and bustle of town allows one to gaze at the night sky in quiet contemplation - an isle of calm amidst a busy city. It was a refreshing night with the wind caressing on my skin.


Calamari Rings @$11

The calamaris were overcooked. The exterior wasn't crispy. It was hard to chew and I would like to compare it to stubborn rubber, not that I have eaten stubborn rubber but just not the right texture.


Stuffed mushrooms @$8
Water was not strained off from the mushrooms. Stuffings dropped off before I could eat it and the mushroom alone was pretty tasteless. Excess liquid (water) oozed out and I felt it was quite gross.

Strawberry Margarita @$11

Lime Virgin Margarita @$11

Baby Back Ribs @$18

Waited at least 40 mins for it and it didn't arrive appealing. It wasn't hot. The ribs were not well-marinated and the meat was not tender enough. Rosemary leaves could have been chopped to enhance its flavour. The mashed potato had too much black pepper in it and it was like having black pepper mashed potato. I felt this was the worst pork ribs I had.

Didn't have the sausages. Comments reserved.

Buffalo Chicken Pizza

Paper pizza. I wouldn't have said it was a thin crust pizza when the crust was as 'thick' as paper. I felt the chicken chunks were too big for the paper pizza. Chicken shreds would have been better. It was not oily nor was it very full-flavoured. I felt it was because not many ingredients were added. This paper pizza lacked the wow.

Cheese Pizza....complimentary. Not sure why it was complimentary. My friend said it was because we have spent a certain amount for the night and thus the complimentary pizza.

Didn't keep the receipt and I couldn't remember what were the cost for some of the dishes. Also, I didn't take the pictures of the other dishes. Overall, I felt the food at Timbre wasn't really great. Price was affordable. Environment and entertainment were the main lure.
Service was quite bad. The waitresses were too eager to clear our plates and glasses. We wanted to watch the band performance but the waitress brought the bill to us when we didn't even ask for it. And she didn't hand it politely to us. She threw the bill on the table and proceeded to the next table with the bills. We paid for the bill anyway and continue to sit at the table but the waitresses kept coming to us for additional food orders. They were chasing us. I felt it was quite not right to do so. Rather disturbing.
It is recommended to make reservations or else time would have to be spent on queuing.


Timbre
The Substation
45 Armenian Street
Tel: 63388277

http://www.timbre.com.sg/

Operational hours - Monday to Thursday
Sundays - 6pm to 1am, Friday and Saturday 6pm-2.30am.

No comments:

Post a Comment