Tuesday, January 27, 2009

222. Samy's Curry



It was my first time to visit the recently so much raved area, Dempsey and the first stop was Samy's Curry. Seated up on the 'hill', I was pretty amused by the two mastercard logos on their signboard. Hmm.....Samy's Curry and Mastercard's advertisement, don't that ring a bell? Richard Gere in India and Samy's Curry's an Indian cuisine! Woot!

I liked the corridor. It gave a feel of the old kopitiam feel, especially with the hanging ceiling fans.
There was no menu, just a display of the dishes like what we would see at the economic rice stalls. And sit anywhere you like, just like in a coffeeshop....except it was at Dempsey area. I thought it was very 'leafy' of the waiters to dress in green. They looked like some Ecogreen supporters.
Big banana leaves and.......
plop*....a big scoop of rice served. You can have as much rice as you wished when the waiter comes with his basin of rice. A choice of briyani or plain rice. The above was a result of not paying attention to the waiter. ( >.<"' ) Never waste food. Then....the waiter came with his pail of curry to drizzle over your plain rice.
Crackers to complement.....
The yellowish, gluey side dish was a corn puree and then the dry curry potatoes. These two was served as side dishes to the rice. I thought the corn puree was rather gross. Sweet puree with rice was rather yucky for me to accept. The potatoes was more favourable. A little spicy though. It cost $2.20
Tandoori Chicken @ $4.20. I wondered why Indians have their fried chicken coloured red. It was due to the spices. Cayenne, red chili powder, or other spices give the typical red color. It was just half of a mini chicken. It wasn't those crispy on the exterior type but I would say it was well-flavoured, thanks to the spices.
Mixed vegetables @$6. It wasn't spicy, in fact, it was with a hint of sweetness, most probably due to the carrots. It wasn't served warm and it tasted like some leftover food. I was further nauseated by the joke that it was a mixture of what other diners have left uneaten. It looked so goggy, nobody would know if the joke had been real.
Mutton curry @$7. Average. Nil wow. The gravy was also just mediocre, a dispensable dish.


Fish Head Curry @$17 (small). Their signature dish. Apparently, it should not have fared any worse since almost every table has one. Even though there were only 3 of us, I decided that the fish head curry is a must-try since we were there. I felt the fish was slightly overcooked. The fish meat was slightly rough. Anyway, I don't expect to have exceptionally fresh fish; the fish meat would have been delicate. If you asked me, I would say the curry lacked something. Could have added some pineapple slices to give the sour punch. So, it wasn't a woo la la dish for me.
Fish Begedel @$1.60. Usually the begedel I had was made of potato but not this one. It was made of small shrimps and fish if I'm not wrong. Of course, with the tumeric and other spices to give its yellow-orange colour. The texture was a bit like eating pork floss, but it was a drier version.

Cheese naan @$2.80. I felt it was the lauded item. The cheese wasn't too strong, just a hint. I felt it was nice. Fluffy and not oily. Eat it hot and geez.....I gave up my prata for it.
Total bill worked out to be $61.20 (with GST) for 3 pax with 3 glasses of lime juice, unpictured. I thought it was slightly overpriced for the quantity and quality of food we had. The taste was decent though.

Samy's Curry
Blk 25 Dempsey Road
Tel: 64722080

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to go to Samy's today but after seeing the food on display, changed my mind and went to Long Beach instead. Haha, I can see what you mean.
    Anyway, all the best for the blog awards my friend =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Justin, nice to see u here! All the best to ya too!

    ReplyDelete