Saturday, February 7, 2009

225. Satowa Hokkaido Cuisine


Satowa @China Square. It was after office hours. The restaurants at nankin row were either filled with people or with not a single soul. But most were empty. I spotted Satowa at the end of nankin row and headed in without hesitation. Greeted by two female waitresses and the chef himself. One thing I admire about Japanese in terms of food is they are very particular with food. When they open up eateries or restaurants, of manageable size, most of the time, it is a one-man show. The boss cooks, cut, dices, boils, prepares everything by himself. Very family oriented, Satowa is no exception.
Corn Korokke @$11.50
I liked the korokke. Filled with corn. Served crispy and hot. The sauce was a with a tad of sourness to balance the overall taste. It's a must-try!


Chirashi don @$33

I had the chirashi don. It came together with a bowl of miso vegetable soup filled with sliced carrots and white radish. There was a small chunk of salmon in it. I thought it was great because it was not the usual miso soup but rather with more ingredients added. It wasn't salty and complemented the chirashi don well. If you ask me, I would say the chirashi don was a small portion. The sashimi was thinly sliced. They were fresh, no doubt. Overall taste was great though.
If you are there at lunch, you could have got a better offer from their set lunch courses at a mere $20++. I was there at dinner. I felt it was slightly pricey. The chef moved from his working kitchen to the cashier when I picked up my bill. The chef asked me how do I feel. I understood that he had meant how did the food fare and I replied "ii desu". It meant good in Japanese. I saw a smile beamed across the chef's face. What's more than a compliment on the food for chefs?
Satowa Hokkaido Cuisine
Pickering Street
#01-44/45 China Square Central
Nankin Row
Tel: 6534 9882
Mon-Sat: 11.30am-2.30pm, 6pm-10pm (Closed on Sundays & Public Holidays)

No comments:

Post a Comment