Wednesday, March 25, 2009

237. Ah Yat Seafood Restaurant II


Mini egg tartlets @$3.20
It was surprisingly good, better than I had expected it to be. The crust was thin. I disliked buttery crust, especially those that made the throat dry. Custard was not too sweet and the texture was soft and yet firm.
Beancurd wrap
It had mushrooms and shrimps wrapped in beancurd skin. I personally didn't like to eat beancurd skin but this tasted nice. The beancurd wrap was first fried before it was steamed. Usually, there will be a greasy oil taste if the oil that was used to fry the food was reused but for this, there wasn't.
Salt and pepper tofu cubes @$4.80
I loved this. The tofu cubes were fried till crispy on the exterior and the tofu inside was very silky. They simply melted in my mouth. The only thing I felt could be improvised was the garlic they had used. Does salt and pepper dish consists of garlic?? Anyway, they had added garlic and I supposed the garlic was over fried a little which resulted in a mild charred taste. But it tasted alright if the garlic bits was not eaten. Pepper taste was not very evident though.
Spinach in stock
It was good. I had it the last time so I shan't repeat my comments again.
Cheese baked oysters @$7 per se
The oysters were fresh and cheap. Have them the cheese baked style somehow didn't wow me. The amount of cheese and mayonnaise was too much and covered the taste of the oysters. The overall taste was pretty bland too. Maybe I should not have ordered cheese baked style at restaurants where chefs were more apt at Chinese dishes. Have them fresh could have been better.
Black vinegar pig trotters
It was not exceptionally good but acceptable. I didn't want to say it was just mediocre because I know I have tasted worse off ones. Either the black vinegar was too sourish or too bland. This was alright. I felt it lacked the oomph. Wasn't cooked long enough. It was considered to be one of the side dishes for dim sum, I supposed only available during the dim sum hours.
Crabs with vermicelli
Delicious! The vermicelli was very well-flavoured with the crab. Crab meat was firm and juicy. Yummy! My previous visit, the crabs were priced at a exceptionally low price, even lower than those available at the tze char stalls at coffeeshops. It was a great deal to have the crabs but I didn't have them the last time. So, I did this time round but the price went up and it was equivalent to those at the coffeeshops but hey....we had them in a restaurant so it was still considered a good deal.

Fried banana balls with red bean
I liked this for the great combination. It was not too sweet. Having been fried, the banana would have excreted a slight sour taste but the use of the sweet red bean paste covered up the sour taste and made the whole fried ball a great snack. The exterior was crispy and the thin bread crust wasn't oil-laden.

This meal was eaten some time ago. Lost the receipt and thus some of the prices were recalled based on memory. But I did remember that our bill didn't exceed $100. Overall, the food was decent and good. They were affordable as well.


See previous entry.
http://foodiesqueen.blogspot.com/2009/02/228-ah-yat-seafood-restaurant.html

No comments:

Post a Comment