Thursday, March 26, 2009

238. Prince Porridge House


There's no lack of food in Bukit Timah area. Along Cheong Chin Nam road, there is a stretch of restaurants. Taiwanese, Teochew, Korean, Hong Kong, Malay, Japanese, Indian food, whatever you want, you can get it there. This scorching afternoon, 4 of us decided to lunch at the Taiwanese porridge restaurant at Cheong Chin Nam road.
On arrival, there was only 2 persons dining in there whereas the other eateries alongside had more people. We went ahead and settle down anyway. The sweet potato porridge. We didn't want to have it because of the sitcom that was aired on Channel 5. Stickier and thick. The sweet potato porridge cost $0.80 per bowl and it's free-flow.

Fried Kang Kong with garlic @$6

It was just like home fried kang kong. Not that it was good but rather I see no difference if I were the chef. I could cook a plate of kang kong like this too.
'Three cups' chicken @$8

'Three cups' (in Chinese : 三杯) is a very common style of cooking in Taiwan. In fact, having been to Taiwan a few times, I noticed on the Taiwanese menus, there are always 'Three cups' style chicken, 'Three cups' style seafood and etc. 'Three cups' was derived from the 3 essential condiments, namely sesame oil, soy sauce and Chinese wine. However, I felt the significant ingredient of this dish lies in the use of fresh basil leaves. Some may find the choking smell of the basil unbearable. This was what happened to me at first but the more I had, the more I grow to like it. Without the taste of the basil leaves, 'Three cups' would not have been 'Three cups'.

The chicken were fried beforehand before they were braised in the 3 essential condiments. If you have noticed, the above dish did not consist of any basil leaves. Because of this, I felt the dish was not so relevant to its name.


Chye-poh egg @$3.50
I doubt the chye-poh egg was appealing at all. The egg was presented almost like charred on the exterior and it seemed like some rotten eggs fried. It was a flop.
Seafood Braised Tofu @$8

The gravy was red due to the chili sauce added. Slight greasy. Tasted of the vinegar from the chili sauce instead the seafood. It was not nice at all. I felt I had an overdose of chili and vinegar though it was not of extreme spiciness.

Our bill chalked up to be $35+ with a serving of their herbal jelly ($3.50) and a ginseng chrysanthemum drink ($3). No GST and service charge. Overall, food was below average. Only the porridge was commendable. If you ask me, I would not visit it again. The dishes were not good enough for a return visit.
Prince Porridge House
9 Cheong Chin Nam Road
Tel: 6467 0289
Opens: 11am - 3pm
5.30pm - 3am Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment