Saturday, August 8, 2009

306. Familie Oven

Familie Oven -8 (Small)

Familie Oven. The name suggested bake. Yes, cake(s). The online media has grown so much to our convenience that we do not have to go to the supermarkets to get our groceries, shopping malls for our clothes and even to bakeries for our cakes. Familie Oven operates via its online website (www.familieoven.com) with the home bakers, Lim and his wife. With the belief that a cake bonds everyone together and Lim's fondness for chocolate fudge cake, the couple started out Familie Oven.

Picture2-2 (Small)
Familie Chocolade

Familie Chocolade- a two layer dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate fudge. I have not tried any of the very much raved about chocolate fudge cakes from Lana cake shop, Jane's cake station and etc so there will not be any comparison made and I shouldn't for Familie Oven is just a starter in this industry.
A thin layer of velvety alike chocolate ganache covered the chocolate sponge cake. The sponge cake was spongy. I felt the two most important things I looked for in a good chocolate fudge cake are the moisture in the fudge cake and the taste of the chocolate ganache. Familie Oven's had the moisture but I felt it will taste even better if it could be made a tad more moist.
The chocolate ganache was bittersweet and Lim told me that they have made the cake not-so-sweet. I liked the cake not-so-sweet. In fact, I felt the level of sweetness was just right. I have tried some chocolate fudge cakes which were made slightly too sweet and I did not like it as much as Familie Oven's. I was looking for one where the ganache amalgamates smoothly to the sponge but somehow Familie Oven's still a little far from that. I realised that the chocolate ganache had a texture akin to gelatin, not very much, just a little. The chocolate ganache was dense but don't expect the very moussey kind.
I personally feel that Familie Oven's chocolate fudge cake is good and decent enough to warrant a try. In fact, my family and I liked the cake as it is presented and of course, welcome the better.
Lastly, thanks to Lim for the wonderful cake.
Familie Oven
Phone : 9 029 2191

6 comments:

  1. Heya. Nice photos there! Do they sell other cakes beside Familie Chocolade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sistafood, FO is only selling Familie Chocolade. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of Awfully Chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Harris, Haha...I have not tried Awfully Chocolate's before, not sure if it tasted the same as Familie Oven's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sponge of familie oven is very springy and I agree with you. It is not sweet and thus light on the palette.

    Anyway, if you are curious about Awfully Chocolate, you might want to request for reduction in sugar. They allow up to 5%.

    Hmm... "ganache amalgamates smoothly to the sponge"... Most are chewy given that it is chocolate fudge. The closest might be Choc.a.bloc and Decadence Cakes. The chocolate is creamy and smooth but not extremely rich though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fen>> The ganache peeled off easily like a layer of konnyaku jelly(I mentioned gelatin) on the top of fruit cakes. That's what I meant...so I didn't see the part where "ganache amalgamates smoothly to the sponge" tho I hoped for. Haha....Fen, U r the expert when it comes to cakes. I read ur review on Decadence Cakes....u gave it q a high rating. Haha..will give it a try...Tks!

    ReplyDelete