Wednesday, August 12, 2009

307. Bolu Gulung Meranti

IMG_9643-2 (Small)

Meranti Cheese Cake -8 (Small)

Bolu Gulung (Keju) @Rp 40,000 (SGD 5.80)

Bolu Gulung, it means roll tart in Indonesian language or what we see here, a swiss roll. The bolu gulung from Meranti, Medan, is a famous food souvenir that tourists will buy back home. Once, I asked my Indonesian friend what is there to buy from Indonesia. And food was her reply. Narrow down from the word 'food', the usual buys will be Indonesian bakes; cakes or cookies.

In Singapore, we have our Bengawan solo, known for its 'green' cake (pandan chiffon cake); in Indonesia, they have Meranti, known for their bolu gunlung. Checked it out with my Indonesian friend and she said she heard Meranti has had no preservatives added to their cakes. "Tidak Ada Calang" was printed on their package box. I wondered if it meant no preservatives added.

The one that I had has had shredded cheese (keju) in it. The sponge was sweet and soft but it was very oily. Too much butter and oil? If you have noticed from the picture(above), the package box was already oily having had absorbed the oil from the roll. Overall, the taste was nice but it didn't make me attempt another slice. It is cheap and makes a great souvenir but if you have health-consious friends then you may want to select another souvenir for them. I have also heard that advance orders have to be made for their cakes.

post signature

Bolu Gulung Meranti
Jalan Kruing No. 2-K, Medan
Tel (061) 453-8217

1 comment:

  1. I love this cake. I can finish the whole box all by myself, and worry about the weight gain later on. It's seriously that good. But unfortunatelly, i'm not sure if it does not have any preservative in it, but maybe your indonesian friend was right. The "tidak ada calang" is actually a typo (sorry), and the right one is "tidak ada cabang", which means they don't have any branch.

    ReplyDelete