Friday, September 18, 2009

321. The French Stall

IMG_9736-1 (Small)

A friend of mine highly recommended this place because his friend highly recommended it to him. It all started with passing words through the mouths and we decided to check out the place. Located just by the roadside, one can easily spot The French Stall.

IMG_9746-1 (Small)

Garlic Bread

IMG_9742-1 (Small)

Escargots

One of my friends decided to change his leek salad to escargots as he has not tried escargots before. He said it tasted a tad like mussels and I joked they are snails but with a nicer name. I would say they have similar texture. The escargots were hidden in the mini greenish mud pool. There was a mild mint taste which I guessed was probably to rid off the soil smell.

IMG_9750-1 (Small)

French Onion Soup

All of us ordered the executive set meal which consisted of an entree, a main and a cake. I liked the french onion soup. It was sweet and the onion boiled till soft turned pulpy and the cheese that melted in the soup. It warmed the hungry stomach.

IMG_9745-1 (Small)

Homemade Suckling Pork Terrine @$8.80

It was very similar to the Teochew's pork trotters jelly. The Teochew's has had more gelatin in it. The one here had much lesser gelatin. Shredded suckling pork was shredded and some not and they were all pressed together, presented like a piece of pork cake with mustard sauce. Nevertheless, it was something new to me. Still, I preferred the Teochew's which is dipped with the vinegary chili sauce.

IMG_9757-1 (Small)

Grilled Beef Sirloin Steak (200g) @$25.80++ (with soup and cake)

I had mine grilled till medium. The meat was tender and juicy. I liked the sauteed potato slices cooked with thyme. It was very fragrant and it made the starchy potato flavourful. In fact, the price for the executive meal is quite standard but judging from the slab of steak, it looked like it was quite a good deal afterall. Just that, if there were some greens, it would have been better.

IMG_9754-1 (Small)

Pan Fried Salmon

The salmon which looked so normal was actually very good at disguising itself. The exterior looked like it was grilled until a tad dry but no, it was soft and moist on the interior and it melts in the mouth. The salmon taste was strong. I felt I was eating it raw.

The executive meals included a dessert which is chocolate cake for the beef sirloin steak set and honey cheesecake for the salmon set. I didn't manage to get a good photo of the cakes due to the poor lightings so I am not posting them up. Simple cakes.

The French Stall has a laidback environment which made diners felt relaxed. The staffs were friendly too. Overall, the bill cost about $130. Thanks for the treat, my friend.

post signature


The French Stall
544 Serangoon Road
Opening Hours: 3-6pm (for desserts)
6-10pm (for dinner)
Tel: 62993544



View Larger Map

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you did a review for French Stall! Been wanting to go but haven't got the chance yet. Guess I'll be having the salmon =D

    PS: Is it ok if I link you to my food blog?? Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi myfoodsirens, sure! Np with the link, it's my pleasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya, was wondering have you tried bistro one zero three escargot? It was pretty good in out opinion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sistafood>> I have not been there. Tks for letting me know. Will try it if i'm there. :)

    ReplyDelete