Tuesday, September 29, 2009

325. 717 Trading Mini Snowskin Durian Mooncakes

IMG_9847-1 (Small)

D24 Durian mooncakes 9 pcs @$38

It is known that Goodwood Park Hotel's signature desserts have to do with durian. This year, they introduced a combination of durian, cempedek, mango and soursop @$44. Goodwood Park Hotel's snowskin mooncakes were all sold out when I went to visit the booth they had set up in Lot One mall. I got to taste the cempedek from the sampling tray and from the box that my colleague bought but I was not attracted to it. It was filled with the cempedek fruit, was pulpy with the fruit flesh but I felt the taste was a little weird. I still didn't manage to get to taste the durian mooncake!

The durian mooncakes from 717 was one that I felt tasted fully of durian pulp. Some others (not to compare it with big brands) that I have tasted was mixed with lotus paste and as a result, tasted like durian cake (those brown chewy kind) wrapped in snowskin. However, I felt 717's mooncakes were a tad overpriced for the size was just 'pop-in-your-mouth' and it's gone!

Today, I tasted Fullerton Hotel's snowskin mooncakes which consisted of blueberry, cranberry, apple and chocolate with bailey flavours in a box @$52. I was immediately attracted to the mooncakes. The snowskin was soft and it just simply melted in my mouth. Good gracious that sugar was not 'poured' into the paste fillings. I wanted more.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Most durian mooncakes have good durian fillings and the main factor that Goodwood Park stands out from the rest is the softskin. I bought my last 2 boxes of mooncakes from the Lot 1 booth and I was lucky as they happened to deliver the assorted and mango pomelo ones when I was there...

    Yea, durian and lotus paste is a horrible combination, just like what you described, it is similar to eating a durian dodol. I am not sure about the snowskin of 717 but the tasting did impress me... but having spent so much on mooncakes this year... I thought I might as well enjoy the real thing and cut down on the damage...

    Alas, I heard the good reviews of Fullerton but I have yet to try it. I think I missed them out when I was at the Taka fair...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try Fullerton mooncakes. It was really good!

    ReplyDelete