Friday, September 12, 2008

90. Madame Low Eating House

* Picture adapted from Madame Low's website
I have decided to shift my hunting base to the east. So, I asked 1 of my friends who is also a food lover, a member of his 'supperclub'. He recommended Madame Low Eating House's tze char which is located at Joo Chiat Road. He forewarned that the place is quite sleazy. I have been to Joo Chiat and I know this. I reassured him that there will be a guy friend and his girlfriend going with me and my loyal makan kaki. Who knows, the couple gave me and my makan kaki the boot at the last minute. They decided not to join us even though they were already in the district and yet can't find Madame Low Eating House. Dotz.
Anyway, I didn't expect Madame Low to be just next to a karaoake pub. What's the big deal? Well, my makan kaki goggled, not at the food but at the 'live' affairs. Some women dressed scantily and some dressed to kill. It's obvious that their dressing don't fit. Who would dressed to the nines at a kopitiam? Their thick makeup and daring approach revealed their motives. The ancient chinese said "春宵一刻值千金" ("a night is worth a thousand gold"). I think it applies well here. Haha.
Reached at about 7pm. It was pretty crowded already. Service was quite prompt. Food served pretty fast. Bill was delivered the moment all of the dishes were served.

Hotplate beancurd @$8

The hotplate beancurd was just so-so. Pretty plain in flavour.
Mee Goreng @$6

The mee goreng was a 'can't do'. It was not spicy at all and quite flavourless. I pondered for a while if that was really mee goreng.


Sambal pork @$6
The chinese waiter recommended this dish. The dish served before me, I though it was some leftover braised pork. Put aside the presentation of the dish, the taste was alright. I would say among the 4 dishes, it was the best if I have to choose. But I felt it was just a simple dish. Braised pork cooked in sambal sauce. Nothing special about it.

Sambal stingyray @$8
The sambal stingray. I was hoping for a good one but it added on to my disappointment after the other 3 dishes. It was not shiok. Instead, my makan kaki and me find the fish rather soggy as if the fish wasn't fresh. I could not really see if the fish was fresh or not under the dim light. It was based on our taste. The sambal wasn't spicy enough.
Our dinner at Madame Low wasn't a very fulfilling one. Given the choice, I would have go for the peranankan dinner at Chilli Padi (yet to try) or the Old Swee Kee chicken rice (can do) down the street. We passed by Old Swee Kee and there was only a few poor souls. I think the resurrection of Old Swee Kee didn't look promising as it used to be.
Madame Low Eating House
192 Joo Chiat Road
Singapore 427463
Tel: 63455608
Opens: 1pm - 1am daily, off on alternate sundays

No comments:

Post a Comment