Sunday, October 19, 2008

141. 'No Signboard' Hainanese Curry Rice

I was reading doctor Leslie's food blog the other day on his review on this hainanese curry rice. His conclusion was "Shiok Not Enough! Veeeery Veeery Shiok! ". It must be so good that doctor Leslie raves this much. So I thought I will give it a try too. When I reached the stall, there was already a queue and the small coffeeshop was filled with people. The coffeeshop space was much smaller than a usual one. The stalls were all lined up to the corridor. Tables were placed outside of the coffeeshop. Only 3 stalls lined upfront (Hainanese curry rice, pancake and duck rice) and the coffee cum drinks stall behind. There was no signboard so I entitled my post 'No signboard' Hainanese Curry Rice.

I have never tried Hainanese curry rice before but I do know that the Hainanese curry rice always had the Hainanese pork chop and of course, the curry. And the curry is always poured onto the rice in a generous serving.

When I looked at the Hainanese curry rice stall, I was shocked. The display of food was very disorganised. Not appealing at all. And the way the uncle handled the food made me feel disgusted. The gravy spilled all over. The uncle grabbed food. The chinese lady helper poured the curry and braised sauce onto the rice like it was soup for drinking. Luckily I didn't order one serving else the plate of rice with the side dishes covered in the gravy will be much like a plate of curry mui fan. It's like so disgusting. But, I saw someone eating this. Just...not to my liking.

We ordered satay pork, crispy pork, assam fish, egg and cabbage. 5 plates of rice. It cost $17. It was considered cheap. I think this is why the long queue formed. The side dishes were all simple dishes. And they didn't look appealing as well. Taste was like what it looked like. The crispy pork. It was fragrant and very crispy. So crispy like keropok (crackers). It was like the pork was vacuum cooked, the juice in the pork extracted dry. Actually it wasn't vacuum cooked. Though they said it was pork....it was more of pork lard. Fried crispy pork lard. Not much meat. Eat more of these pork lard, I think my blood will be coagulated. I have no wish to go for any bypass surgery. Felt a bit cheated because strictly speaking, it was not considered Hainanese pork chop.
Rice with the braised and curry sauce. The curry sauce was so-so. 1 of my makan kakis said a lot of sugar was added to the curry. Without the side dishes on the same plate, the curry rice still look quite alright.
The food was not very very shiok like what doctor Leslie had said, nor was it shiok. Different people have different taste. To me, I felt it ruined my beautiful Sunday. My makan kakis said there's no second time (visit).
'No signboard' Hainanese Curry Rice
Blk 40 Beo Crescent
Opens: 6.30am to 3pm
Closed on Wednesdays

No comments:

Post a Comment