Tuesday, November 25, 2008

183. Fu Lin Men Chinese Restaurant















Dinner was intended to be at Karma Kettle but auntie popped over to my house and I decided to go for Chinese instead. Located in a country club which I felt is pretty out of the way. If you have never been to the country club, you wouldn't have known Fu Lin Men exists.
The restaurant is located at the second level of the club. The spiral staircase carpetted with dark blue flowery designs made the place of European feel. However, the rainbow coloured lightings at the entrance of the restaurant destroyed the feel. I felt it was more like those parlours we saw in the earlier days of Hong Kong, the "gu huo zai" (gangsters) era.

Inside was a different feel. Very wide and spacious. The windows were of old British style. It's location oversees the Jurong Lake and Chinese Garden.
There was not a single soul when we arrived. A waitress was there to serve us throughout the whole dinner. It was like we booked the whole restaurant.
We opted for the set dinner @$49.80++ per pax. (Min 2 pax) It comprised of 5 dishes and 1 dessert of the day.












First dish served was braised sharkfins soup. It was ingredients-filled. Fins were not of inferior grade nor were they of the superior grade. Considered the price paid, it was decent. The soup was slightly salty.
Second up was the korean style pork. I have no idea where's the link to the korean style. It was just like our mongolian ribs or commonly known as coffee ribs less the coffee content.
However, it was a wise decision of the chef over the type of meat. The meat was not like that of the sio bak's (roast pork) we had eaten in restaurants where the chefs had their sio bak's lean and fat meat in proportion seen clearly.
The meat here was lean and coupled with a thin lining of fat. So overall, it wasn't a greasy piece nor was it too dry. It was not too sweet. My brother (2ND visit this time round) said the amount shrunk from 2 pieces to 1. I joked it was due to recession, cut costs!









Halloween's over, no more pumpkin gelato but pumpkin is still a hot favourite in dishes. The lauded item of the night. In fact, based on the appearance of the dish, I felt it wasn't appealing. The colour was not attractive. Though curry leaves were added, it somehow didn't add any taste or fragrance to the dish.
The sauce was pumpkin sauce. I think tumeric powder and probably cream were added. It was like our thick pumpkin soup cooked with curry leaves drizzled over the lobster. I felt the taste of the sauce was a little heavy and somehow covered the freshness and sweetness of the lobster, though the lobster wasn't of a superior grade either. It was quite fresh though. I think most probably hauled from Indonesia.


Mushroom was cooked in oyster sauce because a small bite would have taste of the strong flavoured oyster sauce. The texture was tangy. 2 small stalks of greens. I felt it was pretty pathetic but it was crunchy.
I need more greens!


We changed the Yunnan (vermicelli)mian xian to seafood udon. I felt it was a wrong choice. The udon was cooked in black pepper sauce like those of black pepper crabs. I felt the amount of black pepper was too much which made the udon a tad too peppery and spicy.

I wasn't all for this dish even though I loved udon more than vermicelli.





Note: This picture was taken when I have eaten half the portion. Haha.
Dessert-of-the-day: Mango Sago with pomelo.
There wasn't sago nor pomelo. It was just mango juice and dessert milk (not sure if it's low fat or full fat) combined with lots of diced mango fruits in it. I felt the dessert was nice but the name of mango sago with pomelo intially made me expect more than just what was served. But I was satisfied with the amount of mango fruits in it. Haha.

Overall, I felt the food was pretty decent. The chef didn't scrimp on the ingredients. Service was good but I've to point out that we were the only ones dining there. Maybe ala-carte on the next visit. The total bill added up to $242 for 4 pax.


Fu Lin Men Chinese Restaurant
Jurong Country Club
9 Science Centre Road
Singapore 609078
Tel: 6560 5655

No comments:

Post a Comment